Senior Contracts Engineer (Operations)
|Job Title||Vacancy ID|
|Senior Contracts Engineer (Operations)||TR2018055|
This is a contract role through to June 2019 to be based at our client’s location in Kingswells.
• Responsible for contract administration of allocated projects, dealing with all commercial and contract activities associated with all stakeholders, subcontract and supplier requirements, from project start-up through to contract close-out.
• Managing resources, providing first line supervision, direction and leadership of Contracts Engineers and Graduates
• Development of Contracts Engineers and Graduates within the department.
• Contributes to the development and execution of functional objectives and department plans.
• Governance of commercial policies, processes and procedures and management of direct reports to ensure that all commercial activities are executed in strict compliance with Company’s operating principles, standards and values.
Job Scope (budget, management, specific criteria):
Commercial management responsibilities:
• Management and development of direct reports.
• Provide others with direction in all commercial activities during the contract life cycle, from input into tenders, through contract delivery, to contract closeout.
• Contributes to the development and execution of functional objectives and departments plans.
• Recommends and implements improvements and innovations to commercial policies, processes and procedures as required.
• Carries out contract commercial compliance reviews in accordance with approved process and procedure to ensure all commercial activities are executed in strict compliance with company’s operating principles, standards and values.
• Other appropriate tasks as may be directed by the Contracts Manager from time to time.
Operational Delivery Responsibilities:
• Provides commercial and contractual support to the Project Manager and project team on all aspects of main contract and Subcontract Management
• Manages all contract and subcontract administration activities (including start-up and close-out).
• Controls contract and subcontract approvals and commitments.
• Manages and maintains effective and accurate records of all project contractual and commercial documentation.
• Manages change (variation) control process for both contracts and subcontracts.
• Completion of commercial and contractual close-out activities
• Appraises, selects, recommends and implements contractual and commercial arrangements in line with Company’s contracting philosophy.
• Utilizes appropriate tools and techniques and ability to commercially and contractually negotiate on behalf of company.
• Prepares and reviews proposals to instigate formal dispute resolution.
• Provides contractual advice, initiates and responds to contractual correspondence.
• Supports the management team in the identification, assessment and preparation of claims, including the preparation of any documentation required.
• Reports issues to Senior Management and specialist support functions, seeks their input and support as appropriate.
• Coordinates the commercial submission of any Tender, liaising with technical and support functions in the development of the commercial submission.
• Assists with developing the proposals strategies.
• Prepares detailed and accurate cost estimate(s) for defined technical solution(s) including contingency and risk provisions.
• Appraises industry standard terms and conditions.
• Comprehends, analyses and interprets terms and conditions of contract/subcontract and articulates contract/subcontract obligations to other stakeholders.
• Qualifies contracts in line with Company’s contracting principles.
• Assesses contract insurance requirements and can identify any gaps in coverage.
• Coordinates the procurement of additional insurances in conjunction with Legal/Insurance where applicable.
• Reviews and advises on CAR policies.
• Ensures suppliers have the appropriate level of insurance coverage.
• Ensures adherence to processes and procedures for the placement of subcontracts.
• Appraises suppliers, identifying key elements of risk and sources of commercial advantage with suppliers and develops bidder’s lists accordingly.
• Develops, maintains and delivers project procurement plan.
• Manages bid preparation, administration and evaluation of tender submissions.
• Develops and presents business cases for commitment and places commitments.
• Appraises industry standard terms and conditions and drafts subcontracts
• Understands and applies company policies and procedures on inter-group services and transactions.
• Appraises the services provided/receipted and determines the appropriate form of inter-group agreement to be placed.
• Develops supply strategies for key product categories to deliver effective procurement advantage to the business.
• Implements company procurement strategies.
• Interfaces with Cost Control to establish and maintain accurate financial forecasting.
• Supports set up of contracts and associated subcontracts and supplier agreements in the relevant business system.
• Interfaces with Planning to establish schedules, monitor progress and assess change.
• Assists others in assessing change and quantifying the effects of change on schedule, cost and allocation of risk.
• Participates in audits to provide internal controls and ensure compliance with internal and regulatory governance and risk management.
• Carries out day to day activities in a manner that simplifies the internal and external audit process.
• Applies the appropriate processes and procedures to determine the financial status of stakeholders and suppliers.
• Applies appropriate systems, tools and expertise to all project and tendering activities to ensure sound financial control is exercised and cash-flow is maintained.
• Identifies where security may be required in order to mitigate credit or performance risk.
• Manages all stakeholder and subcontract bond and guarantee requirements.
• Interfaces with the Tax function to assess and quantify tax liabilities and requirements for relevant transactions.
• Translates uncertainty into quantifiable and manageable risk.
• From tender through to close-out, seeks to mitigate risk through contract management.
Typical background and experience required:
• High standard of written and spoken English.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision and direction.
• Extensive experience in a commercial environment performing a similar role, which demonstrates exposure to the key contracting and commercial concepts in relation to contract and commercial risk management, with specific emphasis on operational project execution activities.
• Extensive knowledge of contractual terms and conditions and proven ability to negotiate same with all stakeholders, subcontractors and suppliers.
• Able to act as ‘technical expert’ within the Commercial function.
• Demonstrable high level of competence in the discharge of such commercial and contractual duties.
• Self-motivated and persistent.
• Ability to provide leadership as well as mentor and develop junior colleagues.
• Experience in operator/offshore/subsea related industrial environment.
Nice to have
• Professional or undergraduate degree level qualification